Planning to Visit the Philippines Soon?

There are hundreds of tourists attractions in the Philippines. But as a lover of the Island of Marinduque (Home of the Morions and Heart of the Philippines), I am indeed partial to its beauty, charm and its friendly and hospitable residents. Therefore, help me achieve my dream of seeing this island becomes a world tourist destination, by telling all your friends and relatives about this site. Welcome, to you all, new readers and faithful followers of this site! The photo above is Poctoy White Beach in Torrijos, Marinduque with beautiful and majestic Mt Malindig in the background. Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on infringing your copyrights.

Saturday, April 12, 2014

We are Poor in Gold But Rich in Memories

Macrine and I, Christmas, 2013
I woke up this morning very early(5:30AM). While enjoying a cup of brewed Baracco coffee in the front porch of our retirement home here in Marinduque, I remember that I am no longer young. If I were 20 years younger, I would have been jogging in the beach. Instead I am seating in my ass watching the sunrise and reminiscing my younger days. Today, I am exactly 79 years and 120 days old. So please allow me to re post an article that I wrote in my blogs 3 years ago as follows:

Our life is not rich in terms of dollars or pesos, or material possessions( luxurious villas or mansion here or abroad) but in pleasant memories and accomplishments.

How was this attained? First, I grew up in the 1940's in the midst of the Japanese-American War in the Philippines. My father at that time was a Dental Officer for the Philippine-American Guerrilla Forces in Panay and Romblon Islands. Thus, I did have a lot of contacts with American GI's from all parts of the US. These contacts initiated and triggered my desire and ambition to someday see and visit the US. ( I had no desire or dream to reside in US at that time)

Second, my elementary and high school years were also filled with accomplishments. I graduated with honors in 6th Grade and valedictorian in my high school class. Except for a bullying incident in my freshman year, I had pleasant memories of my elementary and high school years.

Third, my college years at UP, Iloilo and Diliman were also filled with scholastic achievements. I received the Fernando Lopez Scholarship in Iloilo for attaining the highest grade in the whole university. In Diliman, I graduated with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemistry missing 0.02 points to graduate CUM LAUDE(with honors).

Fourth, my graduate school years at the University Of Illinois in Chicago were also filled with pleasant memories. Those years were the hardest and most challenging years of my life. Those years started with seeing my first snow in US, followed by raising three children ( my 4th child was born after my graduate school years) while a graduate and teaching assistant and culminated with my Ph.D graduation in Pharmaceutical Chemistry in 1964.

Fifth, my professional career working as a chemist for 20 years for three private companies and later for the federal government (FDA) for another 12 years ( as team leader) were unforgettable. My years in FDA were the happiest and most productive years in my professional career. I was informed by my superiors in FDA that I was the first Filipino-American Chemistry team leader in the Center of New drugs in the history of the US Food and Drug Administration.

Sixth, Macrine and my involvement with the activities of the Filipino-American Community in the Washington, D.C., Kansas City, Missouri, Modesto and Pinole, California areas were memories that we will treasure and will never forget as long as we live.
Macrine helping in the distribution of free medicines during MI, Inc Medical Mission, Mogpog. Marinduque, 2011.
Last, but not least were the civic, social and humanitarian projects that Macrine and I had been involved since the early 1960's here in the Philippines and US. Our involvement with the Marinduque International, Inc medical mission projects since 1996 to the present are memories we will never forget. The letters of Appreciation and Thanks that Macrine and I received from the Office of the Governor in Marinduque in 2009 regarding our efforts in promoting tourism in the province, we will always treasure. The publication of my two articles in HULIQ News about Eco tourism in Marinduque in 2010 was indeed memorable and unforgettable.

Indeed, we are not rich in GOLD or SILVER, but in MEMORIES, ACCOMPLISHMENTS and Personal Relationships..
The front yard of our Retirement Home in Marinduque-Chateau Du Mer

For details of the above accomplishments and activities, visit my blog sites at
http://theintellectualmigrant.blogspot.com or http://lifeinus1960present.blogspot.com

No comments:

Link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...