Planning to Visit the Philippines Soon?
There are hundreds of tourists attractions in the Philippines. But as a lover of the Island of Marinduque (Home of the Morions and Heart of the Philippines), I am indeed partial to its beauty, charm and its friendly and hospitable residents. Therefore, help me achieve my dream of seeing this island becomes a world tourist destination, by telling all your friends and relatives about this site. Welcome, to you all, new readers and faithful followers of this site! The photo above is Poctoy White Beach in Torrijos, Marinduque with beautiful and majestic Mt Malindig in the background. Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on infringing your copyrights. Please do not forget to read the latest National and International news in the right side bar of this blog!
Sunday, December 16, 2012
My Favorite Quotes on Gardens and Gardening
One of my hobbies when I am in the Philippines is to do some gardening, both actual and by mouth. If you do not know the term gardening by mouth, I do not blame you since I coined that phrase. It simply meant that I have a full time gardener that I order and do most of the hard work in the garden. So my mouth is the one that do the gardening and not my whole body which is getting older every year.
I have a flower garden, a vegetable and a fruit orchard at the Chateau Du Mer in Boac, Marinduque. My flower garden has more than 50 varieties of orchids, 10 varieties of bougainvillas, 15 varieties of hibiscus and around 25 varieties of euphorbias and cacti. My fruit tree orchard has more than a dozen of tropical fruit trees. Among my favorite fruit tress are the mangoes, bananas, papayas, avocados, lanzones, cashews, star apples, chicos, sugar apples, rambutans, guayabanos and of course coconuts.
The following are 13 of my favorites quotes on the subject of gardens and gardening
not including the head picture above. The number one quote by Monet is my most treasured quote in the list below.
1. “My garden is my most beautiful masterpiece”
― Claude Monet
2. “A weed is but an unloved flower.”
― Ella Wheeler Wilcox
3. “The master of the garden is the one who waters it, trims the branches, plants the seeds, and pulls the weeds. If you merely stroll through the garden, you are but an acolyte.”
― Vera Nazarian, The Perpetual Calendar of Inspiration
4. “Those who labor in the earth are the chosen people of God.”
― Thomas Jefferson
5. “No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, and no culture comparable to that of the garden.”
― Thomas Jefferson
6. “Gardening is akin to writing stories. No experience could have taught me more about grief or flowers, about achieving survival by going, your fingers in the ground, the limit of physical exhaustion.”
― Eudora Welty
7. “Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are.”
― Alfred Austin
8. “You're not a gardener, are you? So perhaps you don't know that once a garden is established, much of good gardening is about removal rather than planting, honing what you have to produce a pleasing effect, sacrificing the particular for the good of the whole. Gardening is a creative pastime, but the result is always a work in progress; unlike a painting or a piece of music a garden is never fixed in time. ("In The Garden")”
― Rosalie Parker, The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 21
9. “All gardening is landscape painting,' said Alexander Pope.”
― Rebecca Solnit, Wanderlust: A History of Walking
10. Gardening is the purest of human pleasures. -Francis Bacon
11. I have never had so many good ideas day after day as when I worked in the garden. -John Erskine
12. Gardening requires lots of water, most of it in the form of perspiration. -Lou Erickson