Planning to Visit the Philippines Soon?

There are hundreds of tourists attractions in the Philippines. But as a lover of the Island of Marinduque (Home of the Morions and Heart of the Philippines), I am indeed partial to its beauty, charm and its friendly and hospitable residents. Therefore, help me achieve my dream of seeing this island becomes a world tourist destination, by telling all your friends and relatives about this site. Welcome, to you all, new readers and faithful followers of this site! The photo above is Poctoy White Beach in Torrijos, Marinduque with beautiful and majestic Mt Malindig in the background. Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on infringing your copyrights.

Friday, June 29, 2012

Writing Style, Chronological Age and Gender

Would you be able to guess ( within + or – 10% accuracy) the chronological age/gender of a writer-poet or blogger only based on his or her style of writing on a neutral subject ( a subject that do not require years experience to write) or perhaps a poem that he/she has written on a neutral subject.

My answer will be a 90% definite no and 10% yes. I have several blogger friends and professional writers that claimed they can guess the age of the writer not on his style of writing but on the subject, the writer claimed to be his/her expertise.

For example a blogger who writes about computers will 99% be definitely not in the 70 to 80 years old group, but perhaps in their early 30's or 40's. A blogger who writes on joys of retirement will be definitely be in the over 65 age group, like myself.

I am not talking about the subject of expertise but on the style of writing, the choice of words used in the articles and the feeling and hidden meaning of the writer's words and expression on his blogs and articles.

I know there are three writing styles commonly used: narrative, expository and persuasive. Good writers used all of the above styles, but some writers are really good in only one or two styles. The narrative style is writing about personal or fictional story based on real or imagined event. The expository style conveys information and explain what is difficult to understand, whereas the persuasive style will try to convince the readers a particular point of view or take specific action.

In 2008, when I first started blogging, I received a comment from one of my readers that he thought I was in the 30-40 age group based on my writing styles and choice of words. I received his comment when one day I answered another commentator that I was 74 years at that time. Of course this was before I published in my short biography that I am a retired Filipino-American.

I am not sure if I am flattered or insulted that based on my writing style, I have been mistaken for a 30-40 year old blogger instead of my current status as a HEPTAGENARIAN blogger.

Here are two poems(only excerpt) written by a 19 year old writer-poet and by a 45 year old writer-poet. Let me know if you can match the poem with the age and gender of my two writer friends. I believe this is an easy task to do for most of you. Let me know of your answer via the comments section, please!.

Poem A: To built smart cities the laceration. Towards the pewter discoloration; Intelligence approach is the need rand. Hour and in order to catbird inland; Maximum out put and the smart mallow. Collaboration arrant playfellow. Approach that will be optimized led Of resources and due tantalum seashell. Been the need of the hour and overdose And sustainability attar toast; The smart answer to this oscillation While covering the soon bifurcation.

Poem B: When the game is over, The king and the pawn go Into the same box. Take rest; a field that has rested Gives a bountiful crop.

The whole world steps aside for The man who knows – Where he is going. To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. Never fear shadows that Always means- There is a light shining somewhere.

The poems were written by two of the top ten contributors in pu.blish.us.com writing site.

No comments:

Link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...