Planning to Visit the Philippines Soon?

There are hundreds of tourists attractions in the Philippines. But as a lover of the Island of Marinduque (Home of the Morions and Heart of the Philippines), I am indeed partial to its beauty, charm and its friendly and hospitable residents. Therefore, help me achieve my dream of seeing this island becomes a world tourist destination, by telling all your friends and relatives about this site. Welcome, to you all, new readers and faithful followers of this site! The photo above is Poctoy White Beach in Torrijos, Marinduque with beautiful and majestic Mt Malindig in the background. Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on infringing your copyrights.

Friday, August 7, 2026

My Writing Journey: Eight Pillars of a Life Dedicated to Learning, Service, and Legacy


My Writing Journey: Eight Pillars of a Life Dedicated to Learning, Service, and Legacy

The image above is much more than a colorful infographic. It is, in many ways, a visual autobiography, a concise summary of the themes that have defined my life and my writings since I began blogging in 2009. Every topic shown represents not only a subject I enjoy writing about, but also an important chapter of my personal journey as a scientist, immigrant, husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather, and lifelong student of humanity.

At the center of the image is a photograph of me enjoying a meal, smiling comfortably in a familiar setting. I like that this photograph presents me not behind a laboratory bench or a podium, but as an ordinary senior citizen continuing to enjoy life's simple pleasures. The meal on the table reminds readers that food is far more than nourishment, it is culture, memory, family, and fellowship. Around that central image are the eight themes that have become the foundation of my blog over the past seventeen years.

The first pillar is Filipino-American Identity and Immigration. This has always been close to my heart because my own life represents the dreams of many immigrants who left their homeland in search of opportunity while never forgetting where they came from. My journey from Iloilo and the University of the Philippines to graduate school in America, and eventually to a distinguished scientific career with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, reflects both the challenges and rewards of immigration. Through my stories, I hope younger generations appreciate that preserving one's heritage enriches rather than limits the American experience.

The second theme, Artificial Intelligence, Technology, and the Future of Humanity, reflects my lifelong fascination with science. Even in my nineties, I remain captivated by how rapidly technology is transforming our world. Artificial intelligence has become one of the defining developments of our generation. While I celebrate its extraordinary potential, I also encourage thoughtful discussion about its ethical implications. My scientific background allows me to examine these advances with curiosity, while my faith reminds me that technology should always serve humanity rather than replace it.

The third topic, Personal Memoirs and Family History, may be the most meaningful to my children, grandchildren, and future generations. Every family possesses stories that deserve to be preserved. Through my blogs, I document not only my own experiences but also the lives of those who shaped me, my beloved wife, my parents, relatives, colleagues, and friends. These memoirs are intended to become a permanent family archive, ensuring that our history will never be forgotten.

My fourth area of writing centers on FDA, Science, and Professional Legacy. My years as a pharmaceutical chemist and Chemistry Team Leader at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration were among the most rewarding of my professional life. They allowed me to contribute to public health while demonstrating that immigrants can make meaningful contributions to their adopted country. Sharing these experiences also offers younger scientists insight into the importance of integrity, discipline, and public service.

The fifth theme, Aging, Longevity, and Health, has naturally become more important during my later years. Living into my nineties has given me a unique perspective on aging, not as a period of decline, but as a season of continued learning, gratitude, and purpose. I often write about healthy living, chronic illness, resilience, and the remarkable lives of supercentenarians because these subjects remind us that longevity is measured not merely in years but in the quality and meaning of those years.

No collection of my writings would be complete without Filipino Food and Culture, the sixth topic. Food has always served as a bridge between generations and cultures. Whether writing about adobo, pancit, kare-kare, or regional delicacies from across the Philippines, I celebrate not only recipes but also the stories, traditions, and memories attached to them. Every dish tells a story of family gatherings, celebrations, migration, and cultural pride.

The seventh topic, Travel and Global Observations, reflects my belief that every country has something valuable to teach us. Whether discussing the Philippines, the United Kingdom, France, or other parts of the world, I enjoy comparing cultures, customs, history, and everyday life. Travel broadens the mind and reminds us that despite our differences, people everywhere share similar hopes, dreams, and aspirations.

Finally, Spirituality, Humanity, and Social Reflection ties together all the other themes. Science explains how the universe works, but faith and compassion help explain why our lives matter. Throughout my writings, I often reflect on morality, kindness, service, gratitude, and the responsibilities we owe one another. These reflections have become increasingly important as I grow older, for they represent lessons accumulated through decades of experience.

What I especially appreciate about this image is that it presents these eight topics in a clear and organized manner. The colorful icons make each theme instantly recognizable, while the warm portrait conveys approachability and optimism. The quotation at the bottom beautifully summarizes my purpose as a writer:

"Through my journey in science, family, immigration, faith, and life's many chapters, I continue to write not just to inform-but to inspire, to preserve memories, and to leave a legacy of wisdom for future generations."

That statement captures exactly why I continue writing every day.

Looking back over my decades of blogging, I realize that my articles have never been simply collections of facts. They are pieces of my life's journey, lessons learned through education, scientific discovery, immigration, family, faith, public service, and the privilege of growing old with gratitude. If readers from around the world find inspiration, knowledge, or encouragement in these writings, then my mission as a blogger has been fulfilled.

As I continue writing in my ninety-first year, I remain guided by the same simple philosophy that has shaped both my life and my blog: to keep learning, to keep sharing, and to leave behind a legacy that will continue to educate and inspire long after I am gone.

Finally, For My Trivia Friends Here at THD: 


No comments:

Link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...